Friday 9 January 2015

Unit 3: What Mean Ye Digital Storytelling? Part 1

The first thing that comes into my mind when I hear the word 'Storytelling' is an adult, usually female, sitting down in a dark space, perhaps a classroom lit by a few candles or low level lights or by a campfire facing a group of around a dozen children around the age of 7 emphatically waving their hands about with wide gazing eyes beading around the small crowd with enthusiasm. The reason I have this image in my head is probably because of my childhood excitement for stories and the fact that all through my primary school days we would listen to the teachers telling us stories and this would be the highlight of the day/week.

I still remember sitting in class when I was 9 listening to my teacher read 'The Vampire Plagues' and being sad every time she would close the book, it always kept us eager to read the next chapter and for this we would be sure to behave in school.

Upon hearing the term 'Digital Storytelling' I think of a more modern form of this, for all I know children in schools ten years later now read these books on a kindle or online, so by this thought I am going to go with the guess that digital storytelling is telling a story through a medium that is transferable through digital devices, like a kindle or on the internet or maybe even on a phone; anything that allows transferable data to be used across a range of electronic platforms... Maybe this is a restrictive way of looking at it but that's my first perception of the term.

No comments:

Post a Comment